Why Us

Established in 2002, Migration Expert is a private immigration company with a team of highly experienced ICCRC regulated migration consultants who represent clients from across the globe wishing to apply for a Canadian visa. Migration Expert provides fee-based services in addition to the official government charges to advise, assist and represent our clients through the often-complex visa application process. All decisions for granting of a visa remain with the Canadian Government subject to submitting a valid application using the free forms available on the Government website and meeting the relevant criteria. Migration Expert is not affiliated with the Canadian Government and act independently in the interests of our clients.

Lower-Skilled Occupations Visa

Lower-Skilled Occupations Visa

The Lower-skilled Occupations visa is an ideal option for workers seeking to work temporarily in occupations that usually require at most a high school diploma or a maximum of 2 years of job-specific training. This exciting and versatile program seeks to fill immediate labour shortages where there is demonstrable shortage of Canadians available for occupations requiring lower levels of formal training.

Once granted, the Lower-skilled Occupations Visa allows the temporary entry of foreign workers into Canada to work in lower-skilled occupations deemed in demand for the duration specified on the work permit, gain Canadian work experience and obtain a renewal for a stay of up to 2 years in Canada.

Canadian Employer? Book a complimentary consultation with a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC).

Lower-skilled Occupations Visa Basic Requirements

In order to acquire a Lower-skilled Occupations visa, applicants will require a job offer from a Canadian employer in an occupation deemed to be low-skill. The offer of employment must outline:

  • Wages, duties and working conditions;
  • Benefits relating to transportation costs; and
  • Medical coverage in Canada and coverage for the appropriate provincial workers compensation plan.

In Canada, lower-skilled occupations are defined as occupations that usually require at most a high school diploma or a maximum of 2 years of job-specific training. Certain advertising and recruitment efforts must be satisfied. Applicants must meet the requirements for temporary residence as well as the requirements for issuance of the work permit including the required education, experience and licensing required by the offer of employment.

Lower-skilled Occupations Visa Entitlements

Once a Lower-skilled Occupations visa has been issued, applicants will be allowed to live and work in Canada for a specified period of time, generally between 6 months and 2 years. While dependent on the specific job offer, it may be possible to extend the Lower-skilled Occupations visa if they wish to continue working in Canada for a maximum duration of 24 months. Applicants are required to leave Canada at the end of their work permit, unless they apply for an extension or a new work permit.

To see a full listing of our fees and services, Lower-Skilled Occupation Visa processing times and application costs please visit our FAQ page.